Charles Bridge Prague Map
Charles Bridge (Karlův most) is a 14th century rock connection connecting the two sides of Prague. This magnificent structure, among town's finest destinations, is the main pedestrian route connecting the Old Town because of the Lesser Town / Prague Castle.
From Charles Bridge visitors will enjoy fairy-tale views of Prague. The large expanse of this Vltava River flows beneath it, flanked on both sides by elegant structures. And Prague Castle towers above in its eminent place. Right here you are truly in the centre for the town.
Charles Bridge throngs with people during the day. Street designers sketch and artists play; watch out for the jazz musical organization, who are specifically entertaining. However for a really romantic and less crowded stroll, attempt morning or anytime in the evening.
King Charles IV commissioned the connection. The foundation rock was laid in 1357. Charles IV's favourite architect and builder, Peter Parler, oversaw the majority of the work. The initial idea was to build a functional construction for knight tournaments, and for many years the only decoration on the bridge was a simple crucifix. Later, the Catholic wish to have ornamentation led to 30 statues being erected between 1600 and 1800.